Thursday, April 29, 2010

Acquiring An Aquilegia

Columbine is one of those delicate little blossoms that signal late spring here. We have a couple of the red and yellow variety (Aquilegia canadensis) in the back that we have had for several years. They have been blooming for a while and are winding down now.

102_1124

Summer before last, I took my mother to her class reunion in Kentucky. As we were flying out of Lexington, I was struck by the beauty of blue columbine in large planters outside the airport. I collected a few seed pods. Sometime last year, B planted them in pots. I knew that we had two pots of them that had grown  and were in the little bed near the other columbine. However there is also quite a bit of spiderwort in that bed and its blue flowers  were all that I had noticed until Saturday afternoon when the spiderworts were closed up for their siestas. There it was in all its glory! The Kentucky blue wonder!

102_1125

It looks to me like an Aquilegia rosendale, but most places just refer to it as blue columbine.

No comments: