Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Peacock Pictures: Strutting Our Stuff

We have been learning about birds at school. I had shown my kindergarten students the peacock pictures I had taken a few weeks ago. About the same time, I came across a picture on Pinterest that showed a child-made peacock picture. Well, clicking on the link did not take you to the information about making the picture, but to a different technique. So I made it up.

First the children painted "pretty papers," like Eric Carle does for his popular children's  books, such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar. When those were dry, I pressed them flat by putting building blocks on them. Then each child traced and cut out feathers from the cool blues and circles that fit on the feather tips from the red-orange paper.


I painted each child's hand and they stamped it on white paper. I cut those out and the blue necks and the white of the eyes. The children used their fingerprints to add texture to the necks and colored a white Avery sticker red and black for the iris and pupil and glued that on the white eye part. The children did all of their own assembly and here are two of the products. 




I think they are fabulous!

No comments: