Thursday, May 21, 2009

Youngsters at Wakulla Springs

Well, the rain held off and we had a great final field trip to Wakulla Springs to ride the Jungle Cruise. Only a few of the kids had ever been on the boat ride.

I took this picture last year, the last time I was there. Today was very overcast.

image

We had an excellent tour guide/boat driver. Along the 30 minute ride, we counted 25 alligators! We had a great time, despite the fact that the kids were hungry, having missed their regular 10:34 lunchtime, or as I say, “brunchtime”. By 11 o’clock their tummies were screaming and they let me know, one at a time, until I had my answer ready, “I know. We will eat as soon as we get off the boat.” “I know. We will eat as soon as we get off the boat.” “I know. We will eat as soon as we get off the boat.”

100_7298

It was nesting time on the river, so kindergartners were not the only youngsters out.

Wood ducks were plentiful as can be seen in this picture of poor quality. There were six fuzzy ducklings with both parents.

100_7282

Here are two more.

100_7283

The anhingas had youngsters. That is dad in the black suit. His kids are in the matching tan outfits. The egrets are nesting next door.

100_7286

100_7294

The yellow-crowned night heron youngsters were in their nest waiting for their lunch, too. They look a little more patient. Perhaps they had had a snack.

100_7301 

Note to self: next time bring the animal crackers to tame the tummy growlers.

2 comments:

Dani said...

WOW! Love the baby shots!

R.Powers said...

Nice shots! I'm always amazed at how many of my teenage students have never been on a boat before my field trip.