Friday, April 23, 2010

More Critters at the Okefenokee

We went to see the reptile show in an amphitheatre. The guy who did it was a character. He presented himself as a Seminole Indian.

102_0962

As you can see, he did not just stand on the stage. He walked through the seating and allowed folks to touch what he was holding. This was a king snake.

102_0959

This baby gator was making its “mama!” call.

102_0961

At the end of the show, he invited kids up to have their parents take their picture with the baby gator.

102_0963

Whether or not he is of Seminole lineage, he knows his swamp critters.

Three big black bears were living in a sizeable pen. They are viewed from a room in a building. The other two bears were asleep. This one was foraging.

102_0967

There were other penned animals besides some gators.

This medium-sized snapping turtle came up to inspect us.

Probably looking for a “hand out!”  No, really! Don’t try putting your hand anywhere near these guys.

102_0968

I had to laugh when I saw the green algae on its head. I have written this story before but it is the reason I was laughing.

102_0969

A couple of years ago, I had rescued a baby yellow-bellied slider from a busy road and had put it in an aquarium in my classroom. It was covered in long, flowing green algae. A mother whose daughter I was tutoring remarked when she saw it, “I’ve never seen a turtle with green fur!” She was dead serious. And my only thought was, “Lady, there is a reason I am tutoring your child.” And then the teacher in me was required to give her a short (but kind) lesson on the differences between mammals and reptiles.

So our little trip to the Okefenokee was  OK-fun! OK? 

8^)

No comments: