Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Attempted Murder of a Star

When we were walking down to the beach at Vilano, a trio of teens was coming back up. We overheard them talking about finding a starfish.

On our return to the car, we stopped off at the bathroom and discovered this small collection of shells and a sea star, also called a starfish. There was no one around.


Its tube feet were still moving, indicating it was alive and might possibly survive its relocation and abandonment. 

B made the long walk back and carried it to the sea. 

I can count on one hand the sea stars I have seen in all my decades in Florida. It is sad to me that the teens knew it was alive and yet left it to die. On the other hand, I will kill a roach in my house with no remorse. Is it a fine line for me to judge them?

No comments: