Monday, June 8, 2009

Family Heirloom

100_7541

This double daylily came from a small farm in Estill County, Kentucky.  Six of the eight children my grandparents had were born In the house on that farm. The oldest and the youngest (my mother, who is turning 92 this month) were born in other houses in the area, but the farm stayed in the family for many years afterward. In the early 1990’s, we were there while attending a family reunion. The farm then belonged to the county and the house had been condemned and was later torn down.  B dug me a small bag of these daylilies and we brought them home to Tallahassee. When we moved to this house in 1996, we made sure we brought them with us. Like the family of my grandparents, they have multiplied and spread. Every year the daylilies blaze in the summer garden and remind me of my Kentucky roots. (Pun intended.)

2 comments:

Island Rider said...

Oh, that is a beautiful day lily. I wonder what it is called. I have not have much luck with day lilies. I think our soil is too sandy and salty. Yours are lovely and such a wonderful reminder of your family.

Kimberlee said...

That's such a beautiful bloom. I grew up surrounded by day lilies, but I've never seen a double one like that. What a wonderful connection with your family, too.