Saturday, January 31, 2009

Starry, Starry Night

starry

My class has just finished a study of the Earth and sky. I like to add a piece of fine art into study units and Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night is one that is nice to become familiar with. From another study they had already met the painter, so this time we started out with a discussion of what they see in the picture. This is a rather lengthy discussion as there is a lot to talk about. On the next day,  I demonstrated pastel (colored chalk, not oil pastels) technique and then they worked where they could see a print of Starry Night, four or five children at a time. I think their products are pretty amazing and want to share some here. Remember, these were produced in a regular public kindergarten, by five- and six-year-olds.

100_6028

100_6027

100_6024

100_6029

100_6030

100_6031

Of course, I am quite prejudiced, but I think their work is nothing short of stellar!

3 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Hey! Those are WONDERFUL! If you hadn't already used the word stellar...I certainly would have! What a great project!

Anonymous said...

that body of work is nothing short of stunning.

Dani said...

Such talent! My daughter is in second grade and already I have stacks of her drawings saved. I couldn't bear the thought of throwing them away!