Friday, January 16, 2009

An A-Plus MLK Day

As I have written before, I have a nice class of kindergartners this year. I have also written that they are a unique group. One of the unique features of this class is that I have ten boys and seven of those have a name that starts with the letter "A." Some days, I stutter.

This week I was reading a picture biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. I was explaining about segregation and some of what that meant. I told them that neighborhoods and restaurants were separate. I told them that white children did not go to school with black and brown  children, as well as with children from other countries whose skin was not white. They were clearly stunned. One boy, I'll call "A", remarked,

" How would we have ever found our best friends?"

A is white. His best friends in our class are A, who is Black, and A, whose family is from China, and A, whose family is from India.

They are a unique class ---and a really sweet and thoughtful one.

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

THAT is a beautiful story! And a great quote to remember for all time! Thanks so much for sharing it. :)