Monday, February 9, 2009

Not Rudolph

As we were leaving the Refuge on Sunday afternoon, we glanced down the trail/road by the visitor's center and there was this little deer grazing.

I love the pose of what I, the kindergarten teacher, know as the "I-need-to-go-to-the-bathroom-NOW!" look.

100_6123

It went back to grazing much as some of my kids might go back to playing, temporarily forgetting the prior warning.

100_6128

This pose looked just like those deer decoys that bow-hunters practice with!

100_6130crop

We became aware of what had tempted this young deer out in the open. It was eating the tender red maple winged seeds that had fallen to the ground in small clusters.

Here it looks like Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer as it stuffs in a small branch.

100_6131crop

I took this picture a year or so back but it shows what this deer found so tasty.

100_1702crop

Maybe this explains the signs!

100_5145_thumb3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the deer with the legs crossed. It does look like a kid in need of a hall pass.

R.Powers said...

A very cooperative deer! Very nice with that impressive stand of pines in the background.