Saturday, July 31, 2010

Giant Swallowtail Butterfly

When we arrived in our garden, this sunflower was being visited by a giant swallowtail. The sunflower is probably the size of my hand. It is not the mammoth variety but a smaller one, making the butterfly look even larger.

100_2086

I did not realize that sunflowers contain the nectar butterflies seek; but this one stayed and stayed. 100_2088

You can see how ragged the wings are. One of the swallowtails is actually missing.

100_2087

When I got too close, it flew to the Tithonia (Mexican sunflower) which I did know is an attractor.

100_2089 

100_2090

But soon it returned to work the sunflower and I began my work picking beans, peppers and okra.

100_2092

The garden is feeding us both with abundance.

1 comment:

R.Powers said...

Wow! That is a big one! Sounds like your garden is doing well during this hot summer!