Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Don’t Do It!

December has been a wet month. There have been many days when we have not seen the sun at all and were blanketed in either pea-soup fog/mist or downright steady rain.

In my school garden we keep a rain gauge. Each day after lunch, we check the gauge and record the amounts on a special calendar for that purpose. At the end of the month, we total the rain and compare it with other months.

Today, we finally got a break in the weather and so I sent my  two  kindergarten “gardeners” out with their little watering cans to water this small flower garden outside our classroom door. One thing a teacher must always know is where everyone is and what they are doing. So I looked out the window to keep tabs on these two and was somewhat dismayed to see one little mischief-maker pouring water into our rain gauge. It has happened before, but not recently. I stood in the doorway with one hand on a hip and eyebrows raised and asked the perpetrator, “What is the rule about that?” I had to smile when he answered simply, “Don’t do it!” Later we had to have the conversation about why we don’t do it. (It messes up the data!)

3 comments:

Ducks said...

Sometimes people do it when other said don't. When my youngest said to me do not loot at there and she pointed corner of her class. Instantly I looked at that direction.
I saw some joke writing on the wall of public restroom. Right of you said, "Do not look left side". I had to look left side so I did. On the left side of the wall said, " I told you not to look!"

wlhawh said...

Fuzzy research data.
he has a future.

R.Powers said...

heehee.
He probably has one of those "Question Authority" bumperstickers on his big wheel.